Friday, June 24, 2005

Our Woes Are Central

CENTRALWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
Chicago Sox4922.690-26-1023-12344271Won 78-2
Minnesota3931.5579.521-1718-14320289Won 13-7
Cleveland3733.52911.517-1620-17306284Lost 37-3
Detroit3534.5071318-1717-17316300Lost 17-3
Kansas City2546.3522415-2110-25312396Lost 35-5

Despite a nice complete game last night by Carlos Silva, the Twins still find themselves buried 9.5 games behind the Chicago White Sox. Considering that it is nearly the end of June, this is a significant hole to be stuck in. The White Sux are playing better than any team in baseball and it appears that their start was not a fluke. This is definitely not looking good.

Anything can happen, but I do not think the Twins will win the division this year. The offense just seems to be too poor to help make up the gap between the Sux and the Twins. Its not awful, it is just too much to make up a 9.5 game gap on the team with the best record in baseball. Truthfully, the Twins may not get within a sniff of the White Sux. I remain hopeful, but I think the wild card may be our only ticket to the playoffs and the streak of recent division titles may be over.

I do not want to place all the blame on our hitters. The pitching has really fallen off recently. Radke has gone in the tank and Joe Mays has hit a wall. I suppose a two year layoff will do that to a guy.

Adding Joe Randa (as is the rumor) could help the team, but it won't be enough. Perhaps if we signed him in the offseason (as I wanted them to), this hole would not be so big. Ah, dispair!

I hope the Twins make me feel foolish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home